Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sourdough Bread Notes

1. One thing I have noticed and failed to mention in my original post is a note about metal utensils. When stirring or mixing, I've noticed the dough does not do as well if you use metal spoons or bowls. So, I only use a wooden spoon and a ceramic bowl. Also, I only have two glass loaf pans. The third is a metal loaf pan. Everytime, the one loaf in the metal pan never rises as well as the others. So, metal must react negatively with the bread.
2. The latest thing I have tried is setting two loaves out to rise. With the leftover dough that normally makes a third loaf, I divide it into twelve balls to make rolls. I put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and let them freeze. I then transfer them to a freezer ziploc bag. When ready to make them, I put them in the fridge the night before on plate covered with Saran Wrap to thaw. The next morning, I pull them out and let them rise until doubled or tripled in size. Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Lastly, the baked bread freezes well. Wrap it well in Saran Wrap then place in a freezer bag. Usually when I make a batch of bread, we eat one, give one away and freeze the third. This makes for nice last minute gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment