Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chicken and Dumplings Casserole

I have tried to make homemade chicken and dumplings several time, but to no avail. We had several disasters along the way. My go-to chicken and dumpling recipe is a crock pot recipe using canned biscuits. It's really good, and I'll keep using it, but this recipe is even better!
As you make it, you might think you are messing it up or it looks weird, but that's okay! It will turn out fine!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add chopped onion and celery. Cook for about 8-10 minutes (until soft). I seasoned my onions and celery with a little bit of salt and pepper as they cooked..

Pour the butter and veggie mixture into your prepared baking dish.
Add the chicken in a layer on top of the vegetables.

In a small bowl, combine self-rising flour with milk. The original recipe called for 1 cup of milk, I ended up thinning it out just a little. You may not need the full extra 1/2 cup.
Pour this mixture over chicken (do not stir mixture). Mine was a little thick, so I spread it out, trying not to disturb the "layers" as I did.

In another small bowl combine the chicken broth with the cream of chicken soup.
Season this with more salt & pepper.

Pour this mixture over the chicken. Do not mix the layers. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until set.

When mine came out of the oven, I broke apart my dumplings a little and gently stirred them in with the rest of the casserole and let it set on the stove to cool for a few minutes. These were good the next day, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment