Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sourdough Starter and Bread Recipe

My definition of homemade bread in the past was to buy the frozen dough and let it thaw, rise and bake. But, no more!
For as long as I can remember, my Aunt Mary Jane has been making the most fantastic, sweet, soft bread. And lately, I've been getting the hankering for it. She is a working woman and if she can do it, surely I can! I emailed her for the recipe and began my first bread making journey!

To begin, you'll need a starter:

2 envelopes active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1 c. warm water
2/3 c. sugar
3 T. instant potato flakes

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 c. warm water in a glass jar with screw on lid. Once dissolved completely, stir in 1 c. warm water, sugar and potato flakes. Let the mixture sit out all day (it should become bubbly on the top), then refrigerate for 10days. Remove from the refrigerator and feed.

Feed starter:

3/4 c. sugar
3 T. instant potatoes
1 c. warm water

Mix the sugar, water and flakes and add to starter. Set in a warm place, uncovered for one day (10-12 hours). I put mine in the oven with the oven light on. It stays warmer that way than on the counter top. That night take out one cup to use in making bread and return the rest to the refrigerator (covered). The starter that you return to the refrigerator will need to be fed every five days or so. Don't store more than 2 cups or less than one cup. Starter will be thin. (I guess you can give away starter for others or just toss the excess. I'm still learning and figuring this out myself!)



To Bake Bread:

1 c. starter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1-1/2 c. warm water
1 T. salt
6 c. bread flour

Mix all ingredients well (does better if you use your hands). Dough will be sticky. Cover and let rise overnight.

Punch down in the morning. Divide dough into three equal portions and knead. Cover and let rise 8-10 hours. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.




I can't tell you how proud I am of myself for actually making this! For being my first time it was so easy. Other than taking awhile between risings and such, it isn't time consuming or difficult to do. I plan on making this again and again!

1 comment:

  1. Tastes great but bread came out way to soft..maybe it rose too long???

    ReplyDelete